The Columbia University Club of Belgium is pleased to invite you to a unique conference:
EU/China: Building the Right Investment Framework
Interel is delighted to invite you to our upcoming luncheon debate on ‘EU/China: building the right investment framework’. At the luncheon distinguished guest speakers will share their expert opinions and facilitate an open exchange of views under Chatham House Rules: Guest Speakers:
- Marc Vanheukelen : Head of Cabinet for Commissioner Karel De Gucht (Trade)
- Helmut Scholz: Member of the European Parliament (GUE/NGL), standing Rapporteur on EU - China trade relations
- Prof. Dr. Haiyan Zhang: Academic Director, Chinese-Europe Business Studies and Euro-China Centre, at the Antwerp Management School Moderator
- Nancy Kontou: Managing Director of Kontou Associates, former Head of Cabinet for Commissioner Dimas (Environment 2004-10)
Topics of Discussion: At the latest EU-China Summit on 20th September 2012 both parties reaffirmed their commitment to launch negotiations "as soon as possible" with a view to concluding an EU-China investment agreement. The European industry hopes that such an agreement can facilitate access to the Chinese market on fair and non-discriminatory terms and enhance legal certainty.
This raises a number of question which will be discussed during the luncheon:
- What should a successful investment agreement include?
- How likely is it for such an agreement to be concluded and on what timescale?
- Is this the most effective way to achieve the European industry's objectives?
- Two thirds of European oil refineries ready for tar sands imports
- MEPs go on warpath over energy efficiency days before COP21
- Commission aims at having full European deposit insurance scheme by 2024
- Erasmus+ struggling to attract apprentices
- Socialist Costa to head Portuguese government with uneasy far-left backing